Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of Congo has reached 1000 cases in what is deemed to be the country's most disastrous epidemic since 2014 when the viral disease killed 11,000 people in West Africa.
Stephane Dujarric, spokesman for UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, told reporters shortly afterward the Fore-Lowcock presentation that the World Health Organization has now tallied more than 1,000 cases in northern DRC since the outbreak was declared in August 2018.
"Behind these numbers are several hundred Congolese families directly affected by the virus and hundreds of orphans", Health Minister Oly Kalenga said in a statement.
"Although the reasons behind the attack are unclear and such violence is unacceptable, what we know is that the actors of the Ebola response-MSF included-have failed to gain the trust of a significant part of the population", Meinie Nicolai, MSF's general director now in North Kivu, said in a statement after one of the attacks.
Vaccination with Merck's VSV-EBOV vaccine is ongoing. The ongoing mistrust facing health workers and the response is a symptom of the years of insecurity they have endured, and a sign that those responding must work even harder to combat the stigma and misunderstanding held by some in the community.
Israel's Netanyahu heads to Washington for talks on Golan Heights, Iran
The Jewish state officially annexed the Golan in 1981 and has maintained a buffer zone with Syria since the 1973 Yom Kippur War. Netanyahu, one of the few Trump allies left, is facing a hard re-election campaign.
The 1,000-case milestone brought with it a renewed public commitment from the World Health Organization (WHO).
Among 1,009 cases of reported hemorrhagic fever, 944 were confirmed to be Ebola cases, according to the ministry.
The agency says seven months into the outbreak, the number of cases should be going down, not up. "'This outbreak has gone on far too long"..."
"We need redoubled support from the global community, and a commitment to push together to bring this outbreak to an end", he added, referring to a financial need of at least 148 million USA dollars for the next six months, though only half, or 74 million dollars, had been received as of March 19.